Friday, November 4, 2011

To Eat or Not to Eat

This past week lately I've been hearing from my fellow counselors on the road that this is the time of year where everyone gets really sick of "road food" and dining out.

All I have to say is I am right there with ya'. What once seemed so exciting in our first few days of our travel, has completely worn off.

So as this week winds down, and as we count down our last days of fall travel season here are some ideas to keep you healthy and sane on the road!

Starbucks. As my last post suggests, I am a fan of Starbucks, mostly because I spent one summer working at a Barnes and Noble Cafe where we "proudly brew Starbucks coffee." I spent hours learning (and enjoying!) how to make a Carmel Macchiato.

Despite my love of Starbucks, I never paid much attention to the FOOD. These days I find myself craving a strawberry or carrots or anything that doesn't look like it will add ten pounds to various body parts. So there I was standing in line at Starbucks and behold: the Bistro Boxes.

I picked two and looked forward to a better dinner than anything at a chain restaurant.

Box One: organic grilled chicken, carrots, celery, cucumbers, tomatoes, whole wheat pita and hummus



Box Two: Trail Mix, Apples, Whole Wheat crackers, and assorted cheese





In a land lacking fruit and veggies, this was pure Happiness.

Another option I've found decent is the to-go salads at the Olive Garden. What makes them unique is the distinct packaging where the croutons, cheese, dressing and other dangerous sides are arranged separately so you can really make the salad your own! A good choice on the road without a kitchenette!

Where do you eat when on the road?

Eat Well and Safe Travels,
Alexandra

1 comment:

  1. That is a great idea! I get that way too when I'm on vacation and am getting out the whole time. I crave fruits and vegetables! You could also go to Wendy's and get their salads. Or most grocery stores have salad bars and pre-made salads to go.

    ReplyDelete